Politico's Dave Catanese posted a series of interesting tweets on Saturday about Tom Schweich's campaign for State Auditor. In chronological order:
- 8:38 PM - Bad buzz about Schweich from even those who support him. He's steamed he has a primary when he cut a deal. Ala [Florida Governor Charlie] Crist, welcome to the NFL.
- 9:14 PM - GOPer says Schweich needs to learn from @RoyBlunt in approach. Roy takes his licks, but smiles, brushes off like Jay-Z. Schweich gets mad.
- 9:32 PM - Schweich should devote a speech to his $500 contrib. to @clairecmc. Say if the GOP wants to b party that excludes indys, it won't prevail.
- 9:41 PM - No, @allenicet [primary opponent Allen Icet] doesn't inspire. But Schweich is turning people off. RT @davesmith3: @davecatanese is @alanicet really crushing it THAT much?
Schweich is only in the campaign for Auditor because he cut a deal with Roy Blunt's allies to drop out of the U.S. Senate primary. Sure, Schweich used to think that folks needed to "shed some light on the back-room politics of the sedentary, uncreative Republican leadership in this state," but...well...not when it involves him.
Schweich's key endorsements include Lt. Governor Peter Kinder, Sen. Brad Lager, Sen. Kurt Schaefer, Sen. Bill Stouffer, Sen. Charlie Shields and former Senator John Danforth (who is curiously absent from Schweich's website endorsement list)
- Forget principled opposition -- let's make a deal!
- Schweich Promises To Serve Full Term As Auditor, Unless Revenge Gets In The Way
- Schweich Pledges To Be Hyper-Partisan Auditor
- Which Schweich slam will be hardest to explain away?
- Schweich folds, endorses "end of the Missouri Republican Party"
- "I will only run if I can be a unifying force."
- "Not my kind of Republican"
- Blunt Assessment: "No plan for responsible Missourians"
- OMG. Shots Fired in #Auditors Race! When Will @PeterKinder Start Tweeting Updates?