- Office Held: None presently
- Party: Republican
- Home City & County: Springfield, Missouri, in Greene County
- Education: Jefferson City High School; U.S. Naval Academy, (B.A. in history), 1993.
- Previous Elected Office: Missouri House, district 139, 1998-2000; Secretary of State, 2000-2004; Governor, 2005-2009.
- Military: Lt. Command U. S. Navy Reserves. Served aboard the USS Jack Williams and USS Peterson and in Great Britain.
- Birth date & Place: November 20, 1970, Springfield, Missouri
- Family: Wife, Melanie; son, William Branch (another child expected in 2009).
- Occupation: Naval officer. Currently on board of directors of Copart, an auto salvage company in California; an advisor to Solamere Capital, a Boston equity firm; and a consultant for Cassidy and Associates, a Washington, D.C. lobbying firm.
In 2004, Matt Blunt defeated Claire McCaskill for governor by 50.8% to 47.9%.